Sam MG writes the first of our farewell blogs this summer...

Around two years ago now, myself and my proverbial partners in crime – Bailey Poching and John Broadhead – offhandedly mentioned that we should go and see Yew Tree’s latest production; we knew of it through Tom and knew that they were performing for the National Theatre’s ‘Connections’ program. Now, at the time, my only real acting experience was jovial roles in school musicals (We Will Rock You, Guys and Dolls etc…) and something of a ‘real’ acting challenge was what I wanted. After seeing this very same performance, entitled ‘Hacktivists’, three times, myself, Bailey and John decided that we were getting TOO MUCH sleep on weekends, and agreed to attend Yew Tree’s Gold Company sessions at 10am on a Saturday. 10am on a Saturday was something that I hadn’t seen since Under 7’s football. I could spend this writing about the plays we undertook, the direction we were given, the roles I performed in my tenure under Sarah’s direction, but, really, what I think I should talk about is what Yew Tree’s actually done for me. I didn’t study Drama at A-Level because, and I quote saying this to my own mother, ‘I don’t really like serious acting’. I’ve always thought I knew best ever since a young age, but I think it’s fair to say that 16-year old Sam was stupid in this regard. What I’ve realised that sentence and thought pattern actually meant was, ‘I’ve never done serious acting before and the thought terrifies me’. I think going from that sentence to playing Shakespeare’s eponymous ‘Macbeth’ in a little under 2 years epitomises the very sentiment that I’m aiming for in this. Yew Tree taught me that comedic acting has its place, and it will always be as fun as the first time you make an audience laugh whilst on stage, but theatre isn’t all about one emotion. In an entirely non-sadistic way, there’s just as much fun in making an audience cry as making them laugh, or making them afraid, or enthralled, or shocked. But Yew Tree has never just been about the acting. These two years have given me some of the most interesting social relationships I’ve ever partaken in, friends for moments, friends for days, friends for weekends, friends for months, friends for years, friends forever. People come and go throughout your life, but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that people I met at Yew Tree will always have a lasting impact on me; because, before anything else, who could ever forget the fateful events of Boons 1, 2 and 3? I found it simpler to indoctrinate myself into the group as I was already friends with Tom and Amy, but in a somewhat surprising realisation, my years of friendship with them had never properly brought me face to face with Sarah. Initially, I think that Sarah was taken aback by mine, Bailey’s and John’s group antics, but I was always aware that she is nothing if not adaptable – she finds how to get the best out of every actor she works with. I could spend paragraphs upon paragraphs in words on Sarah, but the crux of my thoughts is that she’s a fantastic director, a true inspiration, and a definite role model. I’m sure she won’t miss my idiocy, but I sure will miss her reactions to it. Realising that you’ve become more than a member of a group, and realising it’s become more than just something you attend every week, is a spectacular feeling. No matter what words are said about Yew Tree, be they mine own or from the mouth of another, I have and will continue to vehemently defend this group of people, and everything they ever do, and be enthralled by our guile, our perseverance, and our want for enjoyment. A mantra that I will always live by, taught to me through Yew Tree sessions, is that if you enjoy doing something, never let anyone tell you otherwise. I could find myself writing for days about my experiences in these two years. Growing through the 16-18 year old stage proved to be a tumultuous section of my life, but Yew Tree was a constant, a reliable hub for enjoyment and creativity. So, take it easy, Yew Tree. Two years well spent, two years never forgotten. I’m excited to see its growth in the future, the direction it will take, and the way you’ll try to fill the manbun-shaped hole on your stage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Leavers Blog - finally :)

Jeevan's Connections 2023 Blog

Arwen's Leavers blog